This summer has been one of starting projects and not finishing projects. I started the new chicken coop in April and have not yet finished the task but I have made a lot of headway and I am close to completion. My last coop post left off with my completion of the floor framing.
I cut holes in the floor for the chickens to enter from under the coop via ramps. I built the framing for the back wall to which I nailed plywood and finished siding which I painted barn red. I then framed the walls, divider and front.
I made a simple roost bar and nailed it to the floor. I also placed some edging around the floor entrance to keep the wood shavings from falling in the hole. I built a ramp which has turned out to be a little steep so may have to rethink the angle.
A week ago I opened the door to the old coop and allowed the birds to meet. There was a little butt kicking but overall the pecking order was established pretty smoothly and all are doing well.
I am not in a big hurry to finish the coop as the roof and overhang keeps the hens out of the weather and as hot as it has been lately, the ventilation of the open coop is a plus. All I have left to do is nail siding to one side and the front, paint the rest of the coop and install another roost, one more entrance ramp and two doors. As fall approaches I will finish the job and get the coop wired for the heated water base and lights.
I will reclaim the wood from the rooftop garden of the old pen which I will use to build the base of a new hoop house I plan to build once the summer season winds down. All in all this project has turned out pretty well. This was a design build project with no plans other than ideas bouncing around in my head. There are always things I would do differently but all in all I am pleased with how it has turned out. I will install permanent fencing once I tear down the old coop and run.