As mentioned in a previous post, I have a pretty big bucket list for the summer which includes a new chicken coop, redworm bin area and moving the compost bins to another area of my garden. First step was the relocation of the compost bins to an area of my garden that has become less productive due to an abundance of tree roots sucking up all the nutrients in the soil.
This created a mountain of mostly composted material. The four bin has been sitting in this one place for the past thirteen years and it was a little stubborn to get loosened from the ground. The main problem was that I was alone but determined to get the bins moved. After loosening the bins I tipped them out on the fronts.
I am used to dragging around three bin systems so the drag to the new location was relatively easy. After positioning the bin in the new location I squared the bins, tightened a few nuts and pounded a few nails. I decided to replace the front slats in two of the bins and I reused old slats for the third bin. I had contemplated building new bins but they were in good enough shape to survive the move and should last for several more years.
The next step was to start the screening process to use the finished compost in my garden and move the unfinished material to fill the bins in the new location. Contrary to popular belief, compost does break down in the winter and I have a lot of ready to use material.
I also used my redworm screen to separate worms from the finished compost.I will finish screening and moving the remaining material tomorrow if the weather permits. Once the material is moved I can start the new chicken coop construction.
With the weather being so warm, my bees have been flying around cleaning out the hive of dead bodies and they are collecting water. I will take advantage of the next nice, non windy day to open the hive and inspect the contents. I will rotate the top and bottom boxes and I will start feeding them sugar water. I hope to harvest a little honey prior to medicating the hive for foul brood in the next month or so. Glad the bees survived the winter but March is generally the month when hives are lost due to starvation so I hope the weather allows me to tackle the hive needs soon.
On another note I built a new ladder planter shelf for a friend this week. She plans to stain it a dark brown. It turned out pretty nice for my first try at this type of project.