Well….it all started one evening with my son and I catching night crawlers….for fun….really. The idea then hit me that since I already have a red worm (composting worm), wooden bin I might as well have a night crawler bin. I have been wondering what to do with an old wooden picnic table that needed to be refurbished and an old dog house that was no longer needed. There was enough material to build a nice bin, cheap. As I was planning to place the bin in an out of sight place by the chicken coop I didn’t care much about overall appearance with more concern for durability.
The first step was taking the wood off the table. This was easier said then done as the bolt assemblies were all rusted. I ended up having to use a grinder to cut the nuts to be able to get the bolts apart. Took way to long.
Once the wood was removed I was off to Home Depot (where everyone knows me by name). I purchased 2 x 10 x 8 boards which I cut to length and bolted the table together with new carriage bolts. Turned out pretty nice. I still need to sand and varnish the table.
I salvaged some dog house plywood and began the bin building in the garage. I began with the base frame and then added the walls and sides. I cut and placed the plywood floor unsecured (so it is easy to replace when rotted out in a couple of years), and I drilled drainage holes in the floor. I then assembled the lid frame and hinged the lid to the bin. I shingled the bin with cedar fencing slats which I caulked the gaps to make it water proof. I left a little room on the bin sides for small vents which I covered with hardware cloth to keep out rodents. I then ran back to HD for peat moss which I cut slits in the bags and filled them with water to soak the moss. Peat moss is slow to absorb water so it needed to soak for an hour or so. I then hand squeezed out the excess water and placed the peat moss bedding into the bin.
Last step is the fun part……involving a dark wet night, a flashlight and quick hands.