Well I still haven’t found the time to get going on the grape trellis but I did finally get around today to mending my worm compost bin as the bottom had rotten away after five years of use. These bins do not last forever but I figure I can get a few more years out of it by simply replacing the bottom with new plywood. I started out by pulling out all of the worms, and bedding/food/compost from the bin.
Next I measured and cut a new piece of plywood to fit the inside of the box and I drilled drainage holes to allow excess moisture to get out of the box.
Next step was to fill the bottom of the box with shredded paper that I moistened well.
I then screened out a pound of worms for a customer and delivered them. I then put the remaining worms and old bedding/food back into the bin.
Final step was to dump in a bag of leaves, moistened it well and I also placed some kitchen scraps on top.
I will leave the worms alone for a few months only adding food and making sure they stay moist. They double their numbers about every 60 days so I should be back in business by fall. I will also add worms to the bin when I screen them from my compost bins. This will speed up the replenish process.
Quick and easy blog today. I will end this blog with pictures of yesterdays broccoli meal, a cilantro harvest and a couple pictures of my front yard.