I have been mentioning in blogs from time to time that I fell through my son’s inground trampoline a year of so ago and I have been slow to replace it as I have been using the 17 foot by 3 1/2 foot deep hole to store my leaves and redworms for my composting process. We originally wanted to put in a nice big pond but I gave my son the decision and he chose to replace the trampoline. Guess it will be another ten or so years before the pond project. Oh well.
The big ugly hole in the ground has been very useful to me but the once most beautiful part of my yard has been an eyesore so it was time to get the area in order again. I spent the good part of Sunday moving all the leaves and worms out of the hole to get started. I need to find a more permanent home for my composting materials but for now I have big piles of leaves under a tree.
On Sunday I opened the trampoline box thinking that the frame was only 14 feet so it would fit nicely inside my existing frame and I could simply drop the new one in and worry about taking out the old frame later. I quickly learned the frame was the exact same size as the old one but the number of springs was 72 versus 100 for the old one so the original frame needed to be replaced. So what was going to be a quick fix turned out to need a total re-haul as the wood retaining wall holding out the dirt was totally rotten and needed to be replaced. I cut the original rusty frame in pieces with a hacksaw and I tore out all the old wood, chicken wire and miscellaneous garbage that had accumulated over the years. So off to Home Depot for the first load of wood for repairs.
I chose to build the retaining wall with cherry wood timbers as the rest of the area is made of the same kind of material for the terracing. These timbers are the most cost effective but they rot quicker than railroad ties. In any event this project cost around $700 (including the trampoline).
I hauled my chop saw and a saw horse into the pit and began cutting the angled wood to build the retaining wall. As it will be hidden by the trampoline it did not have to be perfect (thank god), but it turned out pretty good. I used the trampoline base frame as the supports for the wall and I nailed the layers together with spikes. It took eight layers of timbers to complete the retaining wall. I have some finish work to do but my goal was to get the trampoline in so my son would get off my back.
Once the retaining wall was done I had to wait for the wife to get home as putting on the springs is a two person job. With only one major counting error (putting a spring in the wrong slot), we finished the trampoline and put on the skirt. We spent the rest of the night jumping and this project was semi costly to start but it will save on trips to Airbourne in the future.
All in all it was a good quick project but now I have to clean up the area and do some finish work. Good thing it is the Memorial Day weekend coming up so I have an excuse to procrastinate…..and next week is the start of the Farmer’s Market season……cleanup may have to wait.