Well the last couple of days I have been working hard on the Westlake garden project. The Comcast day of service is on 04/21 so we have about a week to get ready. I brought my small tiller from home to try and tackle too big a job. As it had not rained until today the ground was like concrete. The sod cutters did not get the roots so the grass is again growing back everywhere. My efforts to get the remaining grass tilled up were halfway successful before the tiller broke down on me today. We have to rent a bigger tiller to get the rest of the job done and with the rain today the ground should be much easier to till.
The school turned on the water to the garden today. I have two faucets in the garden area (on the north and south sides). The wall block for the entrance display and the 1×6 cedar edging were delivered today along with the 2×10 wood for the planting boxes. The shop teacher is going to pre-cut the wood for the boxes and his students are going to build the shed and the compost bins. As I made some modifications to the garden design we need to remeasure the dimensions for the garden boxes to make sure they will fit.
After the tiller broke down I used the rest of the afternoon to build the front display and I started to place the 1×6 edging. It should not take too long to finish that project. I feel confident that we will be ready to roll on 04/21. It will be a little early to plant the summer vegetables so I will probably just buy flowers for the front display to plant on the day of service. A week or so later we will plant the summer veggies.
Todays photos are of the progress to date.